Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Nuclear Family

So...yay! I'm a window washer! Or at least I will be next week. Training starts Monday, and I'm fairly stoked to actually be getting some money soon. I must say that it has been a very good day. Not a bad week, either. So I came across another photographer. These photos didn't make me go, "Whoa! That is an AWESOME photo!" The photos in question stopped me dead in my tracks for their sheer "real"-ness. They are beautiful photos, but even moreso, they transcend technique. It becomes more about seeing a genuinely happy relationship than a critique which is especially hard to acheive as well as appreciate. Everyone's a critic, and art students think they are the best critics (myself included - although, I'm not really a student anymore). But when you can lose yourself in what you see, regardless of mission statements, it accomplishes so much more. We want to be moved, and sometimes, after looking everywhere, it takes the simplest things to move you. I like thought-provokingly complex work, but if a capture of a mother/son relationship can be more moving (without being tacky or sentimental), then...I don't know. Art can be valid without being depressing. Anway, Akihiro Furuta is pretty awesome. He also has a blog (in Japanese) that features the photos (in my sidebar - Life Is Beautiful). I'm done yappin'...for now.

2 comments:

april said...

those were really incredible.

Adam The Awesome said...

Indeed. As photographs, amazing. As art, undeniably moving. And plus, that kid has got to be the happiest kid I've ever seen.