Sunday, October 28, 2007

Unholy Crap!

This past weekend has been AMAZING! I just got back today, and even apart from the Full Moon Horror Con, the trip was a much needed, thoroughly enjoyed time away. There was great company: Mike; Mike's brother Steve and girlfriend, Sally; and Mike's buddy, Ron and wife, Kim. They were a blast. Guitar Hero, bad horror movies, Trivial Pursuit (80's edition), and great food.

First night - DamnGood Pizza (the name says it all)

Second night - Whole Hog BBQ (6 sauces to choose from and potato salad that will change your life)

And last, but obviously not least, the Con. We did go there to play a show, and our show was what it was supposed to be: background music. Not bad. Not incredible. Completely worth the drive. I didn't get as much time as I would have liked to have a total geek out (or more appropriately, I wish I had more time to work up the courage to have a total geek out and talk to everyone). I did, however, get to talk to two people who I couldn't have left without talking to and getting their picture.

Michael Graves and Jeffrey Combs, on top of being awesome at what they do (and as far as I know, have no connection with each other), are very, very cool guys. Both completely approachable. With respect to Mr. Graves and Mr. Combs, I would say I am an entry-level fanboy so I couldn't bore them all day about their own catalogues of work, but there was nonetheless some nice conversation. I told Michael Graves that when I saw The Misfits at the New Daisy, it was the first I had ever even heard the band (I was there with a friend to see Earth Crisis) and to date, still the loudest show I had ever seen. I was surprised to hear him say the name of the venue before I did. To Jeff Combs, I gave the glory of being the "redeeming factor" of The Frieghteners (which is not to say the movie was bad. He was just incredibly good). He told me about how much of a joy it was to work with Peter Jackson. Both of these guys were completely mezmerized by my camera (the Mamiya C33 TLR) so both conversations lead to photography and this beauty of a photo-taking machine. You really couldn't ask for a nicer couple of guys.

Plethora of other horror celebs. Horror posters. Horror toys. Horror anything collectible. Filmmakers. Artists. Half-naked girl wearing monster bra (which are stupid - especially a bra in the shape of breasts). Half-naked other girl working at the tattoo booth. Guy in awesome Thor costume. Etc., etc. All of these were icing on a very delicious cake (if I had to be more specific, I would say red velvet cake in the shape of a severed head).

In case you skipped the first sentence and every word of this entire post: It was a tremendous weekend.

1 comment:

E. said...

YAY for you! :) Glad you had fun!

Hey, thanks for the linkage! Much appreciated! :)

Whenever you get those photos developed, just email me with them and a little con report. What you wrote in your blog about Jeff is great as it is, but if you have any other memories about the con, just send them along. :) (darias_diner at yahoo dot com)

Thanks!

Elisa